Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Little Boys

In a letter to her son, my friend describes what it is like to be the mother of a boy:

"...to be your mom is to see things through new eyes every day.


Before I had a son, there were so many things I didn’t notice. Police cards. Fire trucks. Diggers. Trains. Dump trucks. Dinosaurs. Drums. Guitars.


Construction and emergency vehicles passed by me unnoticed. Musical instruments did not give me cause to stop and listen and then immediately imitate. I didn't visit the zoo every month hoping to see sparky the seal. I wasn't aware that monsters could be part of every conversation whether we're discussing going to the potty or eating lunch.


But not anymore. I have a son. And because of that I see the moon when we're driving home from grandpa and grandma's house at night. I stop to wave at school buses when they drive by. I am now aware that nearly anything can become a drum stick in the hands of a little boy. And the act of hiding from monsters is a regular occurrence in my life these days.


Being a mom to a little boy has made me a better, more well-rounded person. Thank you for that Samuel. I hope I don't ever stop noticing all the things in life that you are passionate about."

Everything my friend has written about little boys is perfectly depicted.

Someday I hope to write like this. For myself and for my kids. I want them to know how greatly I love them. And I want to record every moment of the joy they bring me. Stacy does it often, and she does it perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment